About student visas and opportunities to study in the U.S.

"Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States." U.S. Department of State

“Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States.” U.S. Department of State

High school students who grow up in prospering, yet still developing countries, have many choices to make when they consider their options for college. Many more of these students now consider colleges and universities in the U.S. Current social media enhances these families ability to explore what the United States has to offer, educationally.   The U.S. Department of State issues student visas, often known as F-1 and M-1 visas, allowing a citizen of a foreign country to enter the U.S. to study at an approved school. The F-1 visa is the most commonly issued visa covering most forms of study, most commonly high school, college, and private elementary schools (often used by the children of foreign workers living in the U.S.), while the M-1 visa is specifically reserved for vocational and technical schools[i]. There are several visa options that match the duration and type of education program involved.

Before applying for a visa, the student must first be accepted to an approved school.

If students first apply and are accepted to approved schools, they are then able to apply for the proper student visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate.  Some student visa applicants are already in the U.S. under other types of visas and applications to transfer to a student visa can be difficult and immigration attorneys help students and their families with the application processes.

Recipients of student visas often find that they have a need, during or at the conclusion of their tenure as a student, to transition to an employment-based visa or perhaps a family-based upon.  It is important that students know their legal options well ahead of graduation as these processes can often take a great deal of time and planning.

The process of obtaining a visa and transferring to a new visa is complex and it is best to work with an immigration attorney.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley work with student visa applicants and can explain the process and what a student visa applicant can expect. It is important to be careful and be aware of “notarios” and/or “immigration consultants” who are not attorneys and are not allowed to represent student visa applicants. Anyone considering applying for a student visa should ask many questions and be assured they and their families understand the process.

Attorney KiKi M. Mosley is licensed to practice law by the State of Illinois and Louisiana. She is skilled and experienced in complex immigration law issues and can help with the process of applying for and maintaining student visas.  Ms. Mosley can practice immigration law in any of the 50 United States, U.S. territories, and consulates abroad.   For more information about the law firm, please tap/click here to visit the rest of the website, and do not forget to “Like” the firm on Facebook and “Follow” on Twitter or Google Plus.

Coming to study in the U.S. can be a big decision not to take lightly.

Finally, anyone considering coming to the U.S. to study should think about the impact on friends, families and employers. Some students come to the U.S. to study and intend to move back to their home country immediately after graduation. What happens if you come to the U.S. and fall in love and get married. Will you still return to your home country? Will you stay in the U.S. and get married? If so, will your mother, sister or brother want to come to the U.S. to share in adventure? There are so many questions we can all ask when thinking about student visas and immigration. Please feel free to contact the Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley to ask any questions you may have about student visas and immigration.

[i] U.S. Department of State website: Student visas

Beware of Notario fraud

Stop Notario Fraud

From the American Immigration Lawyers Association: “Many non-citizens find out that they will never get their green card or other immigration benefits because an unqualified immigration consultant or notario unlawfully working as an immigration lawyer destroyed their dreams.”

Notario fraud is a problem affecting the immigration community. A “notario” is not the same as an attorney. Notarios often advertise to help immigrants with the process of becoming a citizen. Non-citizens find out too late that the notario accepted their money but did not legally file applications for green cards or other immigration benefits.

Only a licensed attorney may submit applications to the office of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Click here to watch a short video published by the American Immigration Lawyers Association about the dangers of notarios.

The Stop Notario Fraud website contains resources to help:

  • Help immigrants find competent and affordable legal service providers;
  • Help prevent immigrants from being victimized by notarios;
  • Provide resources for victims of notarios;
  • Provide information and resources for attorneys working with victims to remedy crimes committed by fraudulent consultants unlawfully practicing immigration law.

The Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley can help non-citizens who are approached by a notario and answer any questions about the immigration process and why it is important to work with with a licensed attorney. To learn more about immigration law and news you can “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter. Additionally, you can find links to resources and news directly from our website.